HUGE Mobile Marketing in H1 2022 was published by Social Peta; Niko Partners provided insights into how game regulations changed Chinese markets for younger gamers; Sensor Tower mentioned that the majority of gaming genres were falling during the H1 2022 in the US.
- Apptica: Top Grossing iOS & Android games of Q2 2022
- Ofcom: The number of Mobile gamers in the UK increased by 4.5M since the pandemic
- SocialPeta: Mobile Gaming Marketing Market in H1 2022
- Sensor Tower: Mobile revenue of the majority of genres in the US dropped in H1 2022
- Newzoo: Spanish Gaming Market in 2022
- AppMagic: Top Mobile Games of July 2022 by Revenue and Downloads
- Niko Partners: How regulations changed the young gamers landscape in China
- GfK UK: The UK gaming market continued to decline in July 2022
Subscribe to the GameDev Reports newsletter to receive gaming market updates every day.
Apptica: Top Grossing iOS & Android games of Q2 2022
The data comes from 3 segments (casual games, casino, and mid-core games) from 37 countries.
- Android top grossing leaders are Candy Crush Saga (>$122M); Coin Master (>$99.2M), and Roblox (>$68.1M).
- Apptica analysts checked the organic to paid traffic ratio. In Candy Crush Saga for each paid install, there are 3 organic. In Roblox on Android, based on the Apptica study, 99% of installs are organic.
- iOS revenue leaders are Rise of Kingdoms (>$179.5M), Candy Crush Saga (>$85.2M), and Clash of Clans (>$57.7M).
- In the Rise of Kingdoms, 89% of traffic is organic. In Clash of Clans, 99% of traffic is labeled organic.
- Playrix and Playtika are two companies that were on the top charts more often (6 times).
Ofcom: The number of Mobile gamers in the UK increased by 4.5M since the pandemic
- In 2019 there were 7.3M adult mobile gamers.
- In 2020 due to the pandemic, this number increased to 12.48M. Now – after some restrictions cancellation – people started playing less and the current size of the adult mobile gamer audience in the UK is about 11.8M.
SocialPeta: Mobile Gaming Marketing Market in H1 2022
The company released the report on 191 pages, which analyzed 1.2B creatives in 72 countries in more than 90 channels.
- The number of creatives in H1 2022 decreased by 27.83% YoY. The number of advertisers also dropped by 2%.
- Advertisers paid more attention to the T2 and T3 markets – all of them are growing.
- The majority of advertisers (26.03%) are working in the casual gaming space. The competition is growing, in H1 2022 the number of advertisers increased by 4.7%.
- A lot of creatives are created for casual games (18.14% of the overall amount), puzzles (13.67%), and RPGs (12.14%).
- 86% of creatives are videos.
- Android in H1 2022 was responsible for about 70% of all creatives and advertisers.
- The number of advertisers in H1 2022 on Meta platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Audience Network, Messenger) experienced a serious decline.
- The average CPM in gaming ads is $19.31 in H1 2022. The average CPC – is $2.57. The average creatives CTR – is 1.48%.
- The most expensive traffic is in the US (CPM – $27.54). The most expensive platform is iOS (CPM – $20.08). The most expensive genre is a strategy (CPM – $21.58). Women cost more than a man (CPM – $20.5 versus $18.11).
- Countries with the most expensive CPI are South Korea ($13.9), Japan ($12.69), and Hong Kong ($11.66).
- Playable Ads are the most effective from the CPI standpoint ad format. The average CPI in H1 2022 on Android was $1.41 and on iOS – $3.66.
- In 2021 CPI of video ads increased from $3.44 to $6.09.
- Banner ads have the second cheapest CPI, but the highest ROAS (11.11% – D7 and 21.95% – D30). Native ads (CPI – $5.22) are more expensive than Interstitial ads ($4.67), but they have almost similar ROAS D7 and ROAS D30. Playable Ad has the lowest CPI, but also the lowest ROAS.
Sensor Tower: Mobile revenue of the majority of genres in the US dropped in H1 2022
- The overall size of the US mobile gaming market in H1 2022 was $11.4B. It’s 9.6% smaller than it was in H1 2021. Downloads dropped by 2.5% to 2.4B. In Q2 2022 the revenue decline fastened to 11.4% YoY.
- In H1 2022 the revenue growth showed only Arcade and Tabletop genres.
- Arcades grew by 14.8% to $176M. Idle games were the largest sub-genre, earning $88M (+35.3% YoY). Sub-genre leaders are Clawee ($16.5M), Gold & Goblins, and Idle Mafia.
- The Tabletop genre grew by 0.9% in the first half of 2022 to $388.8M.
- The largest revenue decline showed Racing games – by 28.8%.
- Puzzle games remained to lead the revenue top despite the 8.8% fall. Games of this genre already earned $2.3B in H1 2022. Casino games ($2.2B) and Strategy ($2B) games are next.
- As for Q2 2022, than Arcade revenue grew by 18% to $89.4M. Hypercasual games showed 2.3% growth to $27.3M. Racing games downfall increased to 38% YoY.
- Only Action games showed an increase in downloads in H1 2022 – by 5.4% to 54.7M. Leaders are Genshin Impact (2.3M downloads), Galaxy Attack: Space Shooter, and Galaxy Attack: Alien Shooter.
- Hypercasual titles led the top of downloaded genres in H1 2022 – they’ve been downloaded 718.2M times (-13.7% YoY).
- In Q2 2022 six genres showed increase (or at least not fall) downloads dynamic – Shooters (+17.5), Actions (+12.9%), RPG (+6%), Sport games (+2.5%), Puzzle (+0.7%), and Simulation (+0%).
Newzoo: Spanish Gaming Market in 2022
- Spanish gaming market in 2022 will reach $2.38B – it’s #13 place in the world.
- 31.7M gamers are living in Spain. It’s the 23rd result in the world.
- 83% of people in Spain play games often.
- 51% of Spanish gamers are men, and 49% are women.
- The largest gamers segment by age is from 36 to 50, covering 32% of all gaming audiences. The segment of 21-35 years is next (25%); 24% of gamers are 51-65 years old. Interesting that the smallest segment is a young one – there are only 18% of gamers in the age of 10-20 years.
- The main motivation for Spanish people is achieving results (31%).
- The majority of Spanish gamers are playing on smartphones (60%). 48% are playing on consoles, 41% – on PC. On average, playtime on PC & Consoles is 4 hours per week, while on smartphones only 3 hours.
- Fall Guys, Fortnite, and FIFA 22 are top-3 games by MAU on PC and Consoles in Spain.
- 48% of Spanish gamers paid in games in the last half a year. 33% did it because of the sales or special offers.
AppMagic: Top Mobile Games of July 2022 by Revenue and Downloads
- The Honor of Kings, as always, was the top-grossing title and earned $168.3M.
- Candy Crush Saga became the most successful game of July on Android with $58.3M revenue. Overall revenue across all platforms was $106.9M.
- Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle surprisingly managed to reach the #8 overall revenue chart with $59.89M of revenue. The game was released in 2015, last month it was at #78 place.
- Stumble Guys – a mobile clone of Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout – was first with 45.6M of downloads.
- Arena Breakout – mobile Escape from Tarkov from Tencent – reached 3.9M of installs.
- Diablo Immortal in July reached #9 place by downloads on iOS with 2.68M installs. Release in China happened only at the end of the month.
Niko Partners: How regulations changed the young gamers landscape in China
Niko Partners studied how the regulations of September 2021 affected young gamers in China between the ages of 6-17.
- The number of gamers between the ages of 6-17 decreased from 122M (2020) to 83M in 2022. Wherein Niko Partners analysts are sure that the number of young gamers will increase to 115M in 2026.
- Before regulations, about 60% of young gamers named themselves gamers. Now only 40% are gamers.
- 77% of children and teenagers started to play less. 54% are playing only in allowed hours.
- Only 29% of young Chinese gamers are playing more than 3 hours per week. Parents are helping them – 82% providing their children with their adult IDs.
- However, 52% of young gamers in China agree that time spent with games should be controlled. 76% of young gamers are sure, that video games have a positive impact.
- 86% of young Chinese gamers are playing on mobile devices, 30% – on PC, and only 6% on consoles.
GfK UK: The UK gaming market continued to decline in July 2022
- About 104k consoles were sold in the UK in July, it’s 16% lower than in June. Console games sales decreased by 38% from the previous year.
- PS5 sales dropped in July the least (only by 14%), which helped it to become the second most popular console in the UK in 2022. Nintendo Switch is first.
- 1.79M games were sold in the UK in July. It’s 17% less than last year and 32% less than in the previous month. F1 2022 became the leader of the chart.
- About 50% of PS5 sales in the last 3 months were in the form of bundles with Horizon: Forbidden West.
- 551,038 accessories were sold in the UK the previous month. It’s 5.7% less than in June and 4.8% less than in July 2021.
- Accessory chart leaders are white DualSense (first), and black DualSense (second).