German Gaming Market
- The overall gaming size in 2021 was €9.8B. It’s the largest gaming market in Europe.
- €5.4B came from game sales and IAPs (+19% YoY); €3.6B – from hardware (+18% YoY); €719M – from subscription services (+4% YoY).
- Mobile games generated the majority of software revenues – €2.76B from IAPs alone. PC & Console titles earned only €1.5B from IAPs.
- The overall mobile revenue grew by 22% and reached €2.78B.
- Revenue from traditional subscription services like Xbox Live Gold & Nintendo Switch Online fell from €439M in 2020 to €437M in 2021. But 21% growth showed subscription services offering game catalogs like Xbox Game Pass, Apple Arcade, and Google Play Pass.
- Here is the audience distribution: smartphone – 23.5M users (+4% YoY); consoles – 17.8M (+4.7% YoY); PC – 14.3M (-5.9% YoY); tablets – 10.7M users (+8% YoY).
- The top games of 2021 by sales are FIFA 22, GTA V, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
German Gaming Industry
- There were 786 gaming companies (+5% YoY) in Germany in 2021.
- The number of employees increased by 5% from 2020 to 28,650 people.
- 70% of german gaming companies were less than 10 people.