Hitmarker mentioned the critical low amount of entry-level vacancies in the gaming industry; Newzoo told more about RPGs in 2022; Germany became the largest European gaming market in 2021.
- Hitmarker: Only 5% of gaming industry vacancies in H1 2022 were entry level
- game: German gaming market in 2021
- Newzoo: RPG in 2022
- Tenjin: Games on Android got more ad revenue in Q2 2022 than games on iOS
Subscribe to the GameDev Reports newsletter to receive gaming market updates every day.
Hitmarker: Only 5% of gaming industry vacancies in H1 2022 were entry level
Job platform Hitmarker analyzed 19,458 game industry vacancies in January-July 2022.
- One-two year of work experience was required in 8.6% of vacancies.
- The majority of employees prefer more experienced employers. 44.5% of vacancies asked for 2-5 years of relevant experience.
- 41% of vacancies were for senior employees with more than 5 years of experience.
- In the UK the situation is slightly better. 5.9% of positions were entry-level. 9.4% of vacancies were for junior employees with 1-2 years of experience.
- In the US everything is worse. Only 3.4% of job openings were looking for people without experience. And only 6.8% were looking for employees with little experience.
- However, the situation with a career start in the gaming industry hasn’t changed. In H1 2021 the number of entry-level vacancies was the same. But have decreased the number of Junior positions (in H1 2021 there were 11% of the overall amount).
game: German gaming market in 2021
German Gaming Market
- The overall gaming size in 2021 was €9.8B. It’s the largest gaming market in Europe.
- €5.4B came from game sales and IAPs (+19% YoY); €3.6B – from hardware (+18% YoY); €719M – from subscription services (+4% YoY).
- Mobile games generated the majority of software revenues – €2.76B from IAPs alone. PC & Console titles earned only €1.5B from IAPs.
- The overall mobile revenue grew by 22% and reached €2.78B.
- Revenue from traditional subscription services like Xbox Live Gold & Nintendo Switch Online fell from €439M in 2020 to €437M in 2021. But 21% growth showed subscription services offering game catalogs like Xbox Game Pass, Apple Arcade, and Google Play Pass.
- Here is the audience distribution: smartphone – 23.5M users (+4% YoY); consoles – 17.8M (+4.7% YoY); PC – 14.3M (-5.9% YoY); tablets – 10.7M users (+8% YoY).
- The top games of 2021 by sales are FIFA 22, GTA V, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
German Gaming Industry
- There were 786 gaming companies (+5% YoY) in Germany in 2021.
- The number of employees increased by 5% from 2020 to 28,650 people.
- 70% of german gaming companies were less than 10 people.
Newzoo: RPG in 2022
- RPG genre, by experts’ assumptions, will be the first by revenue in 2022.
- 63% of genre revenue will come from mobile devices; 21% – from consoles; 16% – from PC.
- RPG games are in 3rd place by MAU on Steam, and in 6th place – on consoles.
- 58% of RPG gamers are male.
- The largest age segment of RPG players is from 10 to 20 years (30%). The 21-30 years segment is next (29%); 31-40 is third (24%), and 17% of players are between the age of 41 to 65.
- The largest RPG markets by MAU are the US, Japan, and the UK. By RPG player share – Japan, the US, and Mexico.
- Three top PC RPGs by MAU in June 2022 are Genshin Impact, World of Warcraft & Final Fantasy XIV Online. On consoles: Elden Ring, Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker & Genshin Impact.
- People watched 205M of hours of RPG in June 2022. World of Warcraft, Lost Ark, and Diablo Immortal were top-watched titles.
- 63% of RPG players played RPGs in the High Magic Fantasy. It’s the most popular setting. Dark Fantasy (34%) and Alien Galaxy (33%) settings are next by popularity. This works for RPGs on PC & Consoles.
- 99% of RPG titles have the character progression system. 87% of them have skill/talent trees. And 79% – surprisingly – have shooting mechanics.
Tenjin: Games on Android got more ad revenue in Q2 2022 than games on iOS
- Android received 54% of the quarter’s ad revenue.
- AppLovin, Google AdMob & ironSource are the best ad channels on iOS. On Android first two places are the same, but the third is taken by Unity Ads.
- The US, Japan, and the UK are leaders in ad revenue on both iOS and Android.