While we have been drinking Koelsch, the US market dropped; the streaming market struggled to grow; and the European market was feeling fine.
- NPD: The US Gaming industry fell by 9% in July 2022
- StreamElements & Rainmaker.gg: People didn’t watch more streams in July 2022 than in June
- ISFE & EGDF: European Gaming Market in 2021
Subscribe to the GameDev Reports newsletter to receive gaming market updates every day.
NPD: The US Gaming industry fell by 9% in July 2022
- Overall gaming market revenue in July 2022 was $4.2B – it’s 9% smaller than a year before.
- Hardware sales increased by 12% and reached $362M. PlayStation 5 was the first by dollar revenue, and Nintendo Switch led by unit sales.
- Gaming software sales dropped by 10% YoY to $3.7B.
- MultiVersus from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment reached first place in the chart, and Elden Ring finished second.
- Accessory sales went down by 22% to $148M. But the leader is the same – black DualSense.
StreamElements & Rainmaker.gg: People didn’t watch more streams in July 2022 than in June
- The overall number of watched hours increased on Twitch and YouTube Gaming. But there were 31 days in July, so the actual difference to June disappears.
- Streaming platforms are on the plateau by streaming hours from March 2022.
- Fall Guys managed back to top-10 after the transition to F2P. The game received 131% more viewed hours in July 2022.
- Monster Hunter Rise did even better with +147% of watched hours in July 2022 compared to June. A new content update helped the game.
- In July 2022 half of the top-10 streamers were from Latin America (speaking Spanish or Portuguese languages). It’s the first time in a long time that English-speaking streamers are the minority. There is also one German-speaking, and one Japanese-speaking streamer at the top.
ISFE & EGDF: European Gaming Market in 2021
- 124.8M players were in Europe by the end of 2021. 52% of the population between 6 to 64 years play games.
- 45% of European gaming revenue in 2021 was generated by mobile games (40% in 2020); 42% was generated by console market (44% in 2020); 6% – by PC (14% in 2020), and 2% – by streaming services (2% in 2020).
- Digital goods were responsible for 81% of overall revenue. 69% of this amount were IAP purchases.
- The average European gamer age is 31.3 years. 76% of people older than 18 years (and younger than 64) are playing games.
- 63% of users are playing on smartphones; 54% on consoles, and 52% on PC.
- 78% of European gamers are playing at least 1-hour weekly. On average, European gamers are spending in games about 9 hours on games per week.
- Only 19% of children make in-app purchases in Europe. It’s a large decrease from 42% in 2018.