AppsFlyer & Liftoff shared knowledge about games with subscriptions and the casual games market in 2022.
- AppsFlyer: Games with subscriptions market report (June 2022)
- data.ai: Top mobile games of Q2 2022
- Liftoff: Mobile Casual Games Market Report (2022)
AppsFlyer: Games with subscriptions market report (June 2022)
- 10.9% of all apps with subscriptions are games. However, the share of games with subscriptions in the category is much lower than in non-gaming apps.
- Subscriptions are generating 36% of the overall revenue of gaming apps (among those who have subscriptions). In non-gaming titles, this share is much higher – 82%.
- Downloads of games with subscriptions dropped by 18% on iOS and 8% on Android from August 2021 to March 2022.
- Paid downloads of casual gaming titles with subscriptions grew in January 2022 by 33% YoY. Paid downloads of mid-core games in the same period fell by 40%.
- An average conversion from installing to subscription in 30 days in Q1 2022 in games is just 0.2%. Conversion to the purchase is 2.6%. Non-gaming apps are showing much better results in the same period – conversion to subscription is 2.1%; conversion to purchase is 5.5%.
- Gaming apps with subscriptions have one of the best ATT Opt-in rates – 54%.
data.ai: Top mobile games of Q2 2022
- Garena Free Fire and Subway Surfers remained the leaders by downloads in Q2 2022.
- Leaders by revenue are Honor of Kings, Game for Peace, and Genshin Impact.
- Pokemon GO is showing great results, the game managed to achieve top-5 in many major countries. It’s connected with a new season start and Pokemon GO Fest 2022.
Liftoff: Mobile Casual Games Market Report (2022)
Liftoff refers to casual titles Lifestyle games (interactive stories, decorative games, music & rhythm games e.t.c.), puzzles (Match-3, Hidden Object, Solitaire, Word games, Trivia e.t.c.), and Simulation games (tycoons, city-builders e.t.c.).
Liftoff’s research is based on 76.1B impressions; 3.4B clicks, and 58.5M installs.
- The mobile gaming market is about 60% of the overall gaming market. Revenue from mobile games is 3.3x times higher than from the console market, which is second.
- The average CPI decreased from $1.96 (2020-2021) to $1.10 (2021-2022). However, D7 ROAS decreased too – from 10.96% (2020-2021) to 7.31% (2021-2022). D30 ROAS experienced more dramatic drop – from 29.6% (2020-2021) to 17.81% (2021-2022).
- Lifestyle games, despite the largest average CPI ($1.4) are showing the best D7 ROAS (10.57%), and D30 ROAS (22.56%).
- 90.52% of Hiddeo Object users are watching video ads by the end. It’s a 60% difference from the median number.
- 97.85% of Match-3 users are watching Rewarded Videos to the end.
CPI & ROAS trends
- Average CPI dropped after the IDFA. The peak happened in May 2021 ($1.45), and in April 2022 the average CPI was about $1.02.
- The average D7 ROAS in the first months of 2022 was about 7%. D30 ROAS was about 17-18%.
Android vs. iOS
- After the IDFA, iOS users started to cost about $2.27, and only $0.75 on Android.
- Both iOS and Android are showing similar numbers in terms of D7 and D30 ROAS. There is less than a one percent difference.
- The cheapest users are in the LATAM region – $0.66 per install. The most expensive ones – in North America – $3.32.
- However, Latin American users are showing the worst results with D7 ROAS (5.24%) and D30 ROAS (11.89%) despite low CPIs. The best results is showing the North American region with a D7 ROAS of 7.57%, and a D30 ROAS of 18.55%. EMEA and APAC regions are having only slightly worse results.