Sensor Tower, GSD & NPD shared the market numbers.
- Sensor Tower: Mobile Gaming Market will shrink in 2022 by 2.3%
- NPD: The US Gaming Market revenue declined in August 2022
- GSD: European Gaming Market (PC & Consoles) in August 2022
Subscribe to the GameDev Reports newsletter to receive gaming market updates every day.
Sensor Tower: Mobile Gaming Market will shrink in 2022 by 2.3%
The market in general
- The number of mobile game downloads last year (from Q2 2021 to Q2 2022) didn’t change. But it’s still higher than pre-pandemic levels.
- The mobile gaming market continued its fall in Q2 2022 ($20.1B vs $21.6B in Q1 2021). The first decline in history was tracked in Q1 2022.
- Sensor Tower analysts expect an annual revenue drop of 2.3%. The mobile gaming industry will earn $86B.
- However, the market should get back to growth in 2023. And in 2026 it will reach $117B.
- Casual games are responsible for 78% of downloads. Midcore games are generating only 14%. Despite this, mid-core titles are covering 60% of overall mobile games revenue. The most significant genre is an RPG, which is responsible for 27% of overall mobile game industry revenue.
- The US is the largest mobile market (but Sensor Tower is not tracking Chinese alternative stores). It went down in Q2 2022 by 11%. Taiwan made it to the top 5 with a 4% growth and kicked off Germany
- MMORPG is the second after the 4X Strategies genre by revenue. In H1 2022 games of this subgenre earned about $3.6B on mobile.
- Asian countries are still generating about 80% of the MMORPG revenue. However, the situation changes: the US is responsible for 10% of the subgenre downloads in H1 2022 (it’s a 2x growth from the previous year). But this growth was mostly because of the Diablo Immortal release.
- Diablo Immortal is one of the most successful MMORPG launches in US mobile history. In the first 6 weeks, the game earned $28M. The closest MMORPG competitor earned $5M.
NPD: The US Gaming Market revenue declined in August 2022
- The US users spent $4.1B on games in August 2022. It’s 5% lower than a year before. However, there is a slight growth compared to 2020.
- Software spending dropped by 6% ($3.6B). Contrary, hardware sales are up by 14% ($375M).
- The hardware sales increase is connected with a better supply situation. PS5 became the best console in August 2022 in the US regarding both unit and dollar sales.
- Mobile games revenue in August 2022 in the US fell by 10%. iOS was almost okay with a 1.2% drop, but Google Play revenues collapsed by 22%.
- Accessories sales fell by 18% to $138M.
- Madden NFL 23 was the top-seller in the US in August 2022; Saints Row was second despite the controversial reviews; the PC version of Marvel’s Spider-Man was third.
GSD: European Gaming Market (PC & Consoles) in August 2022
- GTA V was first by digital & physical sales. Saints Row didn’t manage to beat the 9-year-old game.
- 7.7M game copies were sold in European countries in August 2022. 3.2M of them were physical.
- Gran Turismo 7 in August 2022 doubled sales compared to July.
- About 310k consoles were sold last month in Europe. Nintendo Switch was a leader, and PlayStation 5 is behind. Overall console sales decreased by 19% compared to last year.
- PlayStation 5 continues to increase its sales.
- In August 2022 in Europe, 1.18M gaming accessories have been sold (-9% to the previous year). DualSense was in the first place by popularity.