Newzoo shared the intelligence on generations Alpha and Z. PlayStation 5 was sold 2 million times in the UK. Harry Potter mobile games earned $1B+. And more!
- Newzoo: Generations Alpha & Z in Gaming
- Tenjin & GameAnalytics: Hypercasual benchmarks in Q3 2022
- AppMagic: Top Games of September 2022 by Revenue and Downloads
- Sensor Tower: Mobile Games based on Harry Potter IP earned $1B+
- Newzoo: Cloud Gaming in 2022
- AppMagic: Hypercasual market in Q3 2022
- GfK: PS5 reached 2M sales in the UK
Subscribe to the GameDev Reports newsletter to receive gaming market updates every day.
Newzoo: Generations Alpha & Z in Gaming
Generation Alpha is people who were born in 2010 or later. Generation Z are people born between 1995-2009.
- For Generation Alpha, games are the primary entertainment type. They spend 21% of their free time playing games.
- 73% of generation representatives played mobile games in the last half a year. 41% played on PC, and 46% on consoles. They’re spending 6 hours 49 minutes per week playing games on average.
- 52% of generation Alpha paid in games in the last 6 months. 33% of the payments happened on mobile devices; 27% on consoles, and 18% on PC.
- Games are one of the leading entertainment options for Generation Z too – they’re spending 17% of their time on them. But social networks (23%), series & films (18%) are a little bit ahead by popularity.
- 69% of Generation Z played mobile games in the last half a year. 42% played on PC; 38% on consoles.
- There are 51% of payers among Generation Z. 33% spent money on mobile games; 23% on consoles; 22% – on PC.
- Socialization, competition, and cooperation are Generation Z’s and Alpha’s main interest points.
- Both generations are paying for the same things. Opportunities to unblock unique/additional content and personalization are the dominant things players are buying.
- 93% (Alpha Generation) and 91% (Generation Z) of money are spent on IAP purchases.
Tenjin & GameAnalytics: Hypercasual benchmarks in Q3 2022
- 57% of ad spending is happening on Android. The platform increased its share by 7% compared to the previous quarter.
- The average CPI on iOS in Q3 2022 was $0.25. On Android – $0.15. It’s a minimal difference in the last couple of years.
- The US (CPI – $0.56), Japan (CPI – $0.44), and Brazil (CPI – $0.06) are the top countries by ad spending on Android.
- The US (CPI – $0.71), Japan (CPI – $0.66), and the UK (CPI – $0.39) are the top countries by ad spending on iOS.
- 2% of top hypercasual games had D1 of 51% on iOS and 42% on Android. D7 on iOS was 22%, and on Android – 16%.
- Top 25% of hypercasual games had following metrics: D1 – 33% (iOS) and 26% (Android); D7 – 9% (iOS) and 5% (Android).
- The median D1 Retention benchmarks are 25% on iOS and 19% on Android. D7 benchmarks are 6% – iOS, 3% – Android.
AppMagic: Top Games of September 2022 by Revenue and Downloads
- The first place (oh wow, what a surprise!) is taken by Honor of Kings – $172.19M.
- Candy Crush Saga became the Android leader with $57.4M. On iOS, the game earned $47.1M.
- Dragon Ball Z Dokkhan Battle jumped 30 places up with $53.9M in revenue in September 2022.
- Good results have been shown by Puzzle & Dragons – the game earned $44.1M last month.
- Stumble Guys in September has been downloaded 23.9M times – it’s the first place in the overall list.
- The most downloaded game on Android was Subway Surfers – 18.7M installs. Plus 3.8M from App Store.
- X-HERO became the first game on iOS by downloads with 6.8M.
Sensor Tower: Mobile Games based on Harry Potter IP earned $1B+
- The current leader by revenue is the Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. The game earned $401M since its launch in 2018.
- Soon the leadership will be taken by Harry Potter: Magic Awakened. The game earned $358M in revenue a year and a month after its launch. 90.6% of the money came from China.
- Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells is in third place with $218M. Harry Potter: Wizards Unite from Niantic earned a little – $40M.
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened is in 31 places by revenue among all mobile titles based on IP in 2022. From 1 January to 30 September the game earned $85.4M. However, the game is in the first place by revenue among games, based on book IP.
- The US is the main market for the games based on Harry Potter IP. It’s responsible for 36.6% of all revenue ($374.8M). China is next – 31.6% ($324.3M), and it’s without taking the third-party stores into account. Germany is third – 5% of the overall amount and $51.6M.
- App Store is covering 66.6% of revenue – $683M. But if we exclude China, it will be more balanced – 51% of revenue will come from App Store and 49% from Google Play.
- Harry Potter-based Mobile Games have been downloaded 156M times. The first place is taken by the US (31.8M), China is second, and Brazil is third.
- A larger chunk of downloads – 54% (84.5M) is coming from Google Play.
Newzoo: Cloud Gaming in 2022
- By the end of 2022, the Cloud Gaming market will reach $2.4B. The number of paying users will increase to 31.7M.
- By 2025 the number of paying users, based on projections, will almost triple to 86.9M.
- The revenue will jump by almost 4 times by 2025 to $8.1B.
Newzoo is highlighting the following reasons for revenue and audience growth:
- New Cloud Gaming services are continuing to launch. Old ones are evolving.
- Cloud Gaming services started to offer the same (or almost the same) experience on all devices.
- Cloud Gaming services began to provide more budget subscriptions.
- There are more AAA games in the Cloud than it was before.
- Issues with hardware availability are pushing users towards Cloud Gaming.
AppMagic: Hypercasual market in Q3 2022
- Hypercasual downloads in Q3 2022 reached 4B. It’s 10% lower than a quarter before.
- In 2022 the number of downloads will increase 2021 by 5-7%. But emerging markets will be ones responsible for growth, and Tier-1 countries will show a decline.
- Hypercasual games reached $51M of IAP revenue in Q3 2022. 58% of this amount came from Tier-1 countries.
- The Bridge Race is keeping first place in Q3 2022 with 44M downloads. Race Master 3D – Car Racing (35.9M) is second; Snow Race!! (34.4M) is third.
- There are 4 new projects in top-10 in Q3 2022 – Snow Race!!, Snake Lite, Hair Tattoo: Barber Shop Game, and Dream Wedding.
GfK: PS5 reached 2M sales in the UK
- It’s the fourth-fastest system to reach this plank in history. Only Nintendo Wii, PS2, and PS4 did it faster.
- However, PS5 brought the most revenue at the 2M plank – £919M. Wii earned at this milestone £358M, PS4 – £700M, and Xbox One – £726M. But it’s important to take inflation into account.