Console sales in Europe are dropping contrary to the UK’s rising sales. Bain & Company projects the gaming revenue growth by 50% by 2027. And Newzoo shared exciting data on French gamers.
- Newzoo: French market in 2022
- Bain & Company: The Gaming market will grow by 50% in 5 years
- dentsu: How different generations interact with games in 2022
- GfK & GSD: Console sales surged by 41% in September in the UK
- Stream Hatchet: Mobile Streaming in September 2022
- GSD: European Gaming market in September 2022 is losing to September 2021
Newzoo: French market in 2022
- The French market will be #7 worldwide by the end of 2022 with a $4.3B valuation. There are 39M gamers in the country (#17 worldwide).
- 7 out of 10 French people are playing games.
- 53% of gamers are male, and 47% are female.
- The dominant age segment is from 21 to 35 years (31%). Gamers aged 36 to 50 are next (27%); 25% of gamers from 10 to 20, and 17% from age 51 to 65.
- 44% of French gamers played in the last half a year on mobile devices. 41% played on consoles; 30% on the PC. As often happens, players spend a little bit more time playing games on PC & Console.
- Fortnite, FIFA 22, and GTA V are the most popular games in France in 2022 by MAU.
- 56% of French users are paying in games.
Bain & Company: The Gaming market will grow by 50% in 5 years
- By companies’ assumptions, in 2022 the gaming market will reach $199B. By 2027 it will grow to $307B.
- Growth is partly connected to the high engagement of the younger generation (from 13 to 17 years). They spend 40% more free time playing games than older people (from 18 to 34 years).
- There is interesting note, that 73% of game developers are moving to Big Tech companies and only 27% are staying in the industry. The flow from Big Tech to gaming stays at the low 3% level.
Bain & Company sees 3 main factors that will help the industry to continue growth:
- New tech. It’s not only about VR, but about tech progress overall, which helped to launch Genshin Impact on mobile devices.
- Metaverse experience. Virtual events, E-Sports, and socialization in the virtual world – all of mentioned will help the industry to grow.
- New monetization models. F2P won’t go anywhere, but subscriptions and blockchain transaction weight will increase.
dentsu: How different generations interact with games in 2022
The company researched user behaviors in 9 countries: Italy, Spain, Australia, Germany, France, the UK, Canada, the US, and Japan.
- 34% of gamers play every day. 46% are playing on a weekly basis.
- People of all generation play games. Generation Z: 37% is playing daily; 47% – weekly. Millennials: 34% is playing daily; 49% – weekly. Generation X: 33% is playing daily; 45% – weekly. 35% of Baby Boomers is playing daily, and 39% – weekly.
- 40% of American gamers perceive themselves as part of the gaming community. 35% are sure that games help them to socialize and spend time with friends & family.
- Gamers – aside from games – are actively consuming media products. On average, throughout the week, they’re watching TV for 29 hours; spend 27 hours on Internet surfing; 8 hours on social networks, and 7 hours on videos on the Internet.
GfK & GSD: Console sales surged by 41% in September in the UK
- 3.17M games were sold in the UK in September. It’s 83% more than in August but 6% lower than in September 2021. 69.4% of sales were digital copies.
- The third of all games sold is FIFA 23. The new installation started 1% better than the previous version.
- 176 thousand consoles were sold in September. It’s 41% more than in August.
- PlayStation 5 is still the best-selling console (+9% MoM) in the UK. Xbox Series S|X sales increased by 104%. Nintendo Switch sales went up by 44%.
- Despite excellent results, overall console sales compared to September 2021 dropped by 35.5%.
- 735 thousand accessories were sold in the UK last month. It’s 34% more than in August but still 8% lower than in September 2021. The most popular accessory is a DualSense, controller Xbox Wireless Shock Blue is next.
Stream Hatchet: Mobile Streaming in September 2022
- 176M hours of mobile games were watched on different streaming platforms in September. It’s 11% lower than it was in August.
- YouTube Gaming is a leader, it has 83.7M hours (47.4% of the overall amount). Facebook Gaming generated 74.3M hours (42.1%). Twitch is responsible for 18.5M hours (10.5%).
- Mobile Legends: Bang Bang is the leader with 49.9M hours watched. PUBG Mobile (37.1M hours; -17% to August) is second, and Garena Free Fire (31.3M; -12% to August) is third.
- Mobile E-Sport viewership dropped by 31% to the last year. People watched 40.6M hours in September 2022 with Mobile Legends: Bang Bang’s MPL Indonesia Season 10 being the most popular event.
GSD: European Gaming market in September 2022 is losing to September 2021
- Numbers are applicable for PC/Console sales only. The research is not covering some countries (more about the methodology is in the source).
- 14.4M PC and console games were sold in Europe in September 2022. It’s 10% less than a year before.
- FIFA 23 is the main game of the month. Its sales are 6% better than those of FIFA 22. NBA 2K23 started well with a 10.5% increase compared to the previous installation. Splatoon 3 is third by sales in September.
- 394 thousand consoles (without Germany & the UK) have been sold in Europe in September 2022. It’s 20% lower than in September 2021; but 29% higher, than in August.
- Nintendo Switch is the best-selling console in the region in September 2021, and sales increased by 11% compared to August.
- PlayStation 5 sales increased by 28%; Xbox Series S|X sales almost doubled. All of this – is compared to August 2021.
- 1.44M accessories were sold in September 2022. It’s 22% more than in August, but 7% smaller, than in September 2021. DualSense & PS5 Pulse 3D are the best-selling accessories.