Newzoo released a new report about shooters; Steam breaks a new record; the Chinese mobile gaming market significantly dropped in Q3 2022.
- Newzoo: Shooter games in 2022
- NPD Group: The US September 2022 revenue still dropping compared to the previous year
- Steam set a new record – 30M concurrent users
- Newzoo: PC & Console Markets Revenue will grow to $109.2B in 2025
- CNG: Chinese mobile gaming market dropped by 19% in Q3 2022
- AdQuantum & Social Peta: Mobile Marketing in H1 2022
- Sweden Game Companies earned €5.8B in 2021
- AppMagic: Marvel Snap earned $2.3M+ in a week after release
Subscribe to the GameDev Reports newsletter to receive gaming market updates every day.
Newzoo: Shooter games in 2022
- Shooters are the fifth genre by revenue in the gaming industry.
- 40% of shooters’ revenue comes from consoles; 34% from the PC. 26% from mobile devices.
- Shooters are the #1 genre by MAU on the PC. On consoles, it holds the #4 place.
- An average shooter gamer plays 1.7 shooter games per month. He plays 19 hours per week with 1.6 sessions per day.
- 68% of shooter gamers are male. 32% are female.
- Most shooter lovers are aged 10-20 years (31%). Segments of 21-30 years (29%); 31-40 years (23%), and 41-65 years (17%) are next.
- The US, the UK, Germany, Brazil, and Russia are the top countries by MAU in shooters in August 2022.
- The top shooters of August 2022 by MAU on PC are CS:GO, Valorant, and Destiny 2. On consoles: Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege; Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, and Destiny 2.
- Shooters are the second by popular genre on live streams. In August 2022 streams with shooters have been watched for 253M hours. And 12M hours of content were created (it’s the second place too).
- 56% of shooter lovers played adventure games in August 2022. 42% played Battle Royale titles. 31% liked sports games.
- 97% of shooters on PC and Consoles are monetized through in-app purchases. Only 8% are using ads.
NPD Group: The US September 2022 revenue is still dropping compared to the previous year
- Users spent $4.07B in September 2022, which is 4% lower than a year before.
- People spent $490M on hardware (+19% YoY); while games spendings were $3.4B (-7% YoY).
- FIFA 23 took first place in the September charts (despite it being soccer, not football). Madden NFL 23 is second, and NBA 2K23 was third (but without digital copies).
Steam set a new record – 30M concurrent users
- It happened on Sunday, October 23.
- It took 14 years for Steam to reach the first 15M CCU. And another five to reach 30M.
- In November 2021 the platform reached 27M CCU.
Newzoo: PC & Console Markets Revenue will grow to $109.2B in 2025
- In 2022 the PC & Console market will reach $93.3B. It’s a billion less than it was in 2021.
- By the end of 2022, there will be 387M console gamers and 757M PC gamers who haven’t spent money on games in a year.
- Newzoo analytics are sure that there will be more in-game ads in games on PC & Consoles. It will help monetize non-paying users and open a new revenue stream for both platforms and developers. According to recent reports, Sony and Microsoft are already working on such solutions.
CNG: Chinese mobile gaming market dropped by 19% in Q3 2022
- The market declined to $8B in Q3 2022 (-19% YoY).
- The main reason for the dip lies in a decrease in active gamers and hours spent in mobile games.
- 89% more mobile games were closed in Q3 2022 compared to Q2 2022, South China Morning Post reports.
AdQuantum & Social Peta: Mobile Marketing in H1 2022
Companies researched more than 175 thousand mobile games and more than 70 traffic sources in 100 countries.
- The number of advertisers in Oceania (-29.03%) and Europe (-23.34%) significantly dropped. All other regions are growing – North America (+10.06%), South Asia (+22.18%), and South America (+14.31%).
- Overall, the number of gaming advertisers in H1 2022 dropped by 2% YoY – to 45.1 thousand. The number of creatives declined by 27.83% YoY to 15.8M.
- Casual games (18.14% of the overall amount); puzzles (13.67%), and RPGs (12.14%) are leaders by creatives.
- In H1 2022 number of advertisers on Meta platforms majorly decreased.
- In all top-10 mobile gaming markets, CPM is higher than $20. The average US CPM is $27.54; CPC – is $4.22; CTR – 1.16%.
- The average CPM in the world increased compared to H2 2021 by 18% to $19.31.
- Android now is responsible for about 72.45% of all advertisers and creatives.
Sweden Game Companies earned €5.8B in 2021
- It’s 4 times more than the Sweden industry generated in 2017 (€1.4B). The number of €5.8B revenue includes revenue of subsidiaries of Sweden companies outside of the country.
- If we’re speaking about the Sweden-based companies, they earned €2.7B in 2021, which is 22% more than last year.
- 785 companies were in Sweden in 2021. It’s 78% more than in 2017. Most companies are either solo-developer studios (49%) or small studios with up to 10 people (40%).
- 7,944 people are working in Sweden in the gaming industry (+17% YoY), and 11,158 people are working in subsidiaries of Sweden companies.
- 21 gaming companies from Sweden are on the local stock exchange. They earned €3.6B in 2021.
- The largest Sweden studios are Ubisoft Entertainment Sweden (837 employees), EA DICE (730 employees), and King (648 employees).
AppMagic: Marvel Snap earned $2.3M+ in a week after release
Marvel Snap is a new card game in the Marvel universe, published by Nuverse, a gaming wing of Bytedance.
- iOS devices generated $1.5M of revenue. Android is responsible for $0.8M.
- The game was downloaded 5.3M times in a week. 1.3M downloads came from the US.
- The majority of revenue came from the US ($1.2M). Philippines ($186k), South Korea ($142k), Australia ($141k), and Japan ($133k), are next.
- RpD in the first week was $0.45.