Newzoo showed ARPU & ARPPU on Consoles in the US; the Chinese market will decline for the first time in 20 years; Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) showed the best start in franchise history.
- Newzoo: ARPU & ARPPU on PC & Consoles at the US market in 2022
- StreamElements & Stream Charts: Streaming Market Status in September 2022
- Sonic The Hedgehog series surpassed 1.5B in sales
- Niko Partners: Top-10 Asian markets and Female gamers in Asia
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) showed the best launch in the series’ history
- Adjust & Liftoff: Mobile gaming trends in Japan in 2022
- Niko Partners: The Chinese gaming market will decline in 2022 for the first time in 20 years
- Superjoost: Top-10 companies by revenue in the gaming industry in 2021
- Newzoo: Fortnite helped Xbox Cloud Gaming to twice the audience this year
Subscribe to the GameDev Reports newsletter to receive gaming market updates every day.
Newzoo: ARPU & ARPPU on PC & Consoles at the US market in 2022
- ARPU on PC from January to September 2022 was $2.2. On Xbox – $1.2; on PlayStation – $1.1. According to Newzoo numbers, there are more people on consoles who are not paying for games.
- During the same time period, the average ARPPU on PlayStation was $21.2; on PC – $20.5, and $19.2 on Xbox.
- 23% of console owners haven’t bought anything in the last half a year. There are only 18% of such users on PC.
- Fortnite, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare/Warzone and Grand Theft Auto V are the US leaders by MAU from January to September this year.
ARPPU in genres
- ARPPU varies a lot from genre to genre. Adventure games on PC are showing an ARPPU of $11.8 while Battle Royale has $27.9.
- On consoles the situation is similar. ARPPU of adventure games is $13.4; Battle Royale is showing the $23.2 number.
- It’s important to mention that the majority of adventure games have a Premium distribution model. And IAP is an additional monetization tool.
StreamElements & Stream Charts: Streaming Market Status in September 2022
- Twitch is the solid leader with 1.8B hours watched. YouTube Gaming (434M hours), and Facebook Gaming (328M – but the data was provided by Facebook itself).
The report authors also shared some numbers of other popular platforms.
- NimoTV reached 186M hours watched (main languages: Vietnamese and French).
- AfreecaTV had 109M hours (main language – Korean).
- Bigo Live had 46M hours (main languages are Arabic and English).
- Trovo had 18M hours (main languages are Russian, Spanish, and Greek).
- Nonolive had 9.9M hours (main languages are Arabic and English).
Sonic The Hedgehog series surpassed 1.5B in sales
- It’s the largest franchise of SEGA Sammy. In the 2022 report, the company also shared the results of its other franchises.
- The Total War series launched in 2000 reached 40.4M copies sold.
- Football Manager and Chain Chronicle have sold 25M copies each.
- The Persona series has sold 15.5M copies since its debut in 1996. Persona 5 and its spin-offs are responsible for 7.22M copies. 77% of its sales were international.
Niko Partners: Top-10 Asian markets and Female gamers in Asia
Top-10 Asian markets
Niko Partners excluded China from the list. It includes Chinese Taipei, Indonesia, Malaysia, India, Singapore, Thailand, Japan, Vietnam, Philippines, and South Korea.
- The number of mobile & PC gamers will increase from 714.9M in 2022 to 940.9M in 2025.
- Revenue from mobile & PC games will increase from $35.6B to $41.8B in 2025.
- The highest ARPU is in Japan ($351). Singapore, Chinese Taipei, and South Korea are among the leaders too.
- India is showing the highest growth rate from the revenue, and ARPU standpoint (+29%). Leaders by growth are also Indonesia, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Female gamers in Asia
The numbers below include Chinese female gamers too.
- 35% of gamers in Asia are female.
- The number of female gamers in Asia increased by 7.6% compared to last year.
- 95% of female gamers are playing on mobile devices; 60% on PC & Mobile Devices; 17% on Consoles.
- According to Niko Partners, RPGs, Racing games and Strategies are the favorite genres of female Asian gamers. Tower Defence, MOBA, and CCG are next.
- 84% of female gamers in Asia are making IAP.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) showed the best launch in the series’ history
- The game earned $800M in the first three days after the launch.
- The previous record was set in 2011 by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. It reached comparable results in 5 days.
- In the UK the boxed version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) sold 42% more copies during the launch than Call of Duty: Vanguard. It also started by 9% better than Call of Duty: Black Ops – Cold War. However, launch boxed sales dropped by 61% compared to the previous Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. But it was in 2019.
- Among the other reasons to be proud: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) reached the largest number of unique users and played hours in the first three days in the history of Call of Duty Premium releases. Not counting Warzone and Call of Duty: Mobile.
Adjust & Liftoff: Mobile gaming trends in Japan in 2022
- 15% of installs in Japan come from hypercasual games. It’s the most popular segment.
- After the COVID burst in activity, Japanese gamers are returning to normal consuming patterns. The number of sessions in H1 2022 is 8% higher than in H1 2020.
- RPG is the second after the hypercasual genre by popularity. It’s responsible for 13% of all installs from 2020 to H1 2022.
- iOS in Japan is dominating with 67% of the revenue. Android, as you can assume, takes 33%.
- An average D1 Retention in Japan for games in H1 2022 – 22%. D7 – 9%. D30 – 3%.
- The average CPI in the casual segment in Japan – is $5.46 from June 2021 to May 2022.
- There is no big difference in CPI between iOS and Android in Japan.
- Average D7 ROAS – 7%; D30 ROAS – 19.1%.
Niko Partners: The Chinese gaming market will decline in 2022 for the first time in 20 years
- Chinese gaming market revenue will reach $45.44B in 2022.
- It’s 2.5% lower than it was last year. And it’s the first decline in 20 years that Niko Partners is tracking the market.
- The drop is connected with several factors: macroeconomy situation, administrative regulations, lack of new licenses, and underperformance of released games.
- Mobile games are responsible for 66% of the market’s revenue. This segment will decline by 5.1% YoY. An additional negative factor here was the ATT implementation from Apple.
- The PC segment will increase by 2.1% after the long 4-years recession. It’s responsible for 30% of the whole revenue in China.
- The console market is relatively small but growing fast – +14.7% to the previous year.
- There will be 701.8M gamers in China in 2022. And it’s the second consecutive year when this number is dropping. By Niko Partners’ assumptions, 39M young Chinese people stopped playing games in 2022.
- Despite all difficulties, Niko Partners expects that by 2026 the number of gamers will increase to 754.5M; and revenue will reach $53B.
Superjoost: Top-10 companies by revenue in the gaming industry in 2021
The information was collected from company financial reports. The graphic doesn’t cover the hardware sales.
- The top ten gaming companies earned $126B in 2021. It’s about 60% of the whole industry revenue.
- Tencent earned $33B – a quarter of the top revenues. And this number doesn’t include the income of companies where Tencent is a shareholder. 3/4 (about $24.75B) of revenue comes from Mobile games.
- Apple & Google are earning well on games. Apple received $15B in 2021, and Google – $12B.
- The majority of top-10 gaming companies’ revenue comes from Mobile. That’s one of the reasons why big companies like Sony want to move to the mobile entertainment direction.
Newzoo: Fortnite helped Xbox Cloud Gaming to twice the audience this year
- In April, before the Fortnite launch, the number of users in Xbox Cloud Gaming was around 10 million. Now it exceeds 20M users.
- The fast growth started in May when Xbox announced the Fortnite addition to the Xbox Cloud Gaming.
- Newzoo expects that the Cloud Gaming market will reach $8.1B in 2025. Now it’s at the level of $2.379B.