The gaming market will decline in 2022 according to Newzoo. But the VR market will grow. And Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II with God of War Ragnarok are showing great results.
- Statista: Pokemon Go Live delivered an additional $300M+ to the cities where it happened
- GSD: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 almost outsell Call of Duty: Vanguard in 2 weeks in Europe
- GfK: God of War Ragnarok physical launch sales in the UK beaten Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
- Newzoo: The Gaming Market will decline by 4.3% in 2022
- inMobi & Tenjin: Ad Monetization in Games report (October 2022)
- Newzoo: VR Gaming Market in 2022
Statista: Pokemon Go Live delivered an additional $300M+ to the cities where it happened
- Based on analytics data, Pokemon Go Live motivated 150 thousand of people to travel to new cities. They’ve spent there $309M.
- Pokemon Go Live based on economic impact can be compared with Super Bowl LVI ($234-477M). The women’s UEFA Euro 2022 brought the economy $60M.
- 85% of Pokemon Go Live participants spent around $650. The average player walked 10.2km during the event.
- Seattle benefitted the most from Pokemon Go Live. The event delivered an additional $155M to the city. It welcomed 58 thousand trainers and each spent $816.
GSD: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 almost outsell Call of Duty: Vanguard in 2 weeks in Europe
- 11,9M games were sold in Europe in October. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is the leader.
- Games sales increased by 1.5% compared to October 2021. 57.5% of sales are digital. Physical copies sales decreased by 13%.
- Starting sales of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II outperformed by 125% the launch of Call of Duty: Vanguard. The game already became the third by sales this year just behind the FIFA 23 and Elden Ring. Moreover, it almost reached the lifetime sales of Call of Duty: Vanguard in Europe.
- Almost 368k consoles were sold in Europe in October. That’s without the UK and Germany.
- PlayStation 5 became the top-selling system of October 2022. It’s the first month since September 2021 when the Nintendo console was not the first.
- Xbox Series sales increased by 26% compared to the previous year.
- 1.18M accessories have been sold in October. It’s 13% less than last year.
GfK: God of War Ragnarok physical launch sales in the UK beat Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
That’s only about physical sales.
- God of War Ragnarok showed the second-best results in the year by physical copies sales in the UK. FIFA 23 is first.
- 82% of the game sales came from the PS5 version. 12% of this amount were PS5 bundles with God of War Ragnarok.
- God of War Ragnarok’s release helped PS5 to set the record for weekly sales in the UK in 2022.
- God of War Ragnarok showed the best launch in the series’ history. The game sold 51% better in the first week than the God of War (2018).
- In a week after the release, the game managed to become the third in the whole franchise by sales.
Newzoo: The Gaming Market will decline by 4.3% in 2022
- The overall game market valuation will be $184.4B. The decline will happen for the first time in 15 years of research.
- However, there are no reasons to panic. Newzoo analytics are positive that it’s not the trend, but just the correction after explosive growth in 2020 & 2021.
- Newzoo’s forecast in 2020 was close to the current market valuation. But the growth dynamic was completely different.
- The PC market will reach $40.5B in 2020 with a 0,5% YoY growth. Browser games continue to fall with -16,7% YoY to $2.3B.
- The mobile market in 2022 will reach $92.2B. The decline is significant – 6.4% YoY. And there are several reasons for it: IDFA, economic problems in many countries, and pressure from other forms of entertainment available after dropping many COVID restraints.
- The console market will experience a drop of 4.2% from the previous year to $51.8B.
- The Chinese gaming market is still the largest with $45.8B. The US market is about $45B. Those two countries are responsible for 49% of the overall gaming market.
- Asia-Pacific region remains the largest by revenue in 2022 ($87.9B) but will drop by 5.6%.
- North America (-5,1% YoY) and Europe (-3,5%) revenues will drop too.
- Middle-East and African regions will grow by 6.6% to $6.8B. The same will happen with Latin America – +3,4% YoY to $8.4B.
- Newzoo analytics are quite positive about the future. They are sure that the market will grow to $211.2B in 2025 and will show a CAGR of 3.4%.
- The number of gamers will increase from 3.198B in 2022 to 3.534B in 2025.
inMobi & Tenjin: Ad Monetization in Games report (October 2022)
- Android is responsible for 56% of ads revenue and 65% of impressions.
- In October 2022 compared to the previous month eCPM on Android became lower by 2%, ad revenue increased by 5% and ad impressions jumped by 9%.
- The US, Japan, the UK, China & Canada are leaders in ad revenue on iOS.
- 80% of iOS revenue came from banners. Interstitials (8%) and video ads (7%) are next.
- 71% of ad revenue on iOS came from banners, 21% – from interstitials, and 5% – from Rewarded Video.
- The US, Japan, Brazil, the UK, and Germany are the top countries by ad revenue on Android.
- 75% of impressions on Android are from banners, 9% from video, and 8% from interstitials.
- Android ad revenue is as follows: 61% – banners, 23% – interstitials, 8% – rewarded video.
Newzoo: VR Gaming Market in 2022
- There will be 27.7M VR devices in the world by the end of 2022. It’s a solid growth from 8M in 2019. By 2024 there will be 46M devices, based on Newzoo analytics assumptions.
- VR games revenue in 2022 will reach $1.8B. By 2024 it is forecasted to reach $3.2B.
- 39% of VR gamers are using the headset multiple times per week. The majority (61%) do it once a week or less often.
- VR gamer is predominately male (63%) in the age of 21 to 35 years (43%) and high income (43%).
- Adventure games, shooters, and simulators are the most popular genres in VR.