GfK is recording only physical copies sales, so the decline speaks more about an interest in the digital versions than of a market negative trend.
- Games’ physical sales last year were better by 15%.
- The decline is happening second consecutive year. In 2021 physical games results were 10% lower than in 2020.
- The main title of Black Friday 2022 in the UK was FIFA 23 (sales increased by 95%). Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was back in second place (+9% in sales). Pokemon Scarlet went to third place, while Pokemon Violet ended in sixth. Both games lost about 64% in sales.
- Nintendo Switch became the most popular console of Black Friday 2022 in the UK with 42% of console sales.
- Xbox Series S was about to take the lead. It had 40% of sales thanks to the huge discount.
- The remaining part of sales was taken by PlayStation 5, the digital version of which received a minor discount.
- If we’ll sum up sales of games, consoles, and accessories, Black Friday 2022 financial results in the UK were 4% better than in 2021.
- 41% of revenue has been made by consoles; 39% by accessories, and only 21% by physical games copies.