Sensor Tower shared mobile games results in Southeast Asia. The US market is back to growth in November. The European market continued to decline.
- GSD & GfK: November game sales in the UK dropped compared to 2021
- The NPD Group: The US gaming market got back to growth in November 2022
- Famitsu: Pokemon Scarlet and Violet became the main game of November in Japan
- GSD: European PC & Console game sales dropped in November 2022
- StreamElements & Rainmaker.gg: Game Streaming market in November and 2022
- Sensor Tower: Top Mobile Games by Revenue & Downloads in Southeast Asia in November 2022
Subscribe to the GameDev Reports newsletter to receive gaming market updates every day.
GSD & GfK: November game sales in the UK dropped compared to 2021
- 4.3M games have been sold in the UK last month. It’s 7.3% less than in November 2021. However, it is connected to the release of Call of Duty, which last year launched in November 2021.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 nonetheless became the top seller in November 2022.
- God of War Ragnarok made it second. Compared to the previous installment, sales in three weeks were up by 44%.
- Pokemon Scarlet and Violet were third in November, and this is without digital sales.
Consoles & accessories
- Nintendo Switch became the top-selling console in the UK in November 2022 with 372k systems sold (+113% MoM). This is the best result for Nintendo this year.
- Xbox Series S|X sales jumped by 105%, the console was second last month.
- PlayStation 5 is third with sales up by 71%. God of War Ragnarok bundle was responsible for about 38% of all systems sold.
- 1.29M accessories have been sold in November 2022 in the UK. It’s 93% more than in October 2022, and 9.3% more than in November 2021. The most popular accessories were gamepads for PS5 and Xbox Series S|X.
The NPD Group: The US gaming market got back to growth in November 2022
- The gaming market reached $6.3B in revenue in November 2022. It’s 3% more than last year.
- However, game sales were $4.7B, down by 5%.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 already became the most successful game of the year by sales.
- Mobile games revenue dropped by 5% compared to 2021 and by 1% compared to 2020.
- Candy Crush Saga, Roblox, and Royal Match were the mobile leaders by revenue, according to Sensor Tower.
Consoles & accessories
- Console sales increased by 45% and reached $1.3B in November 2022.
- PlayStation 5 is the top platform of November by both systems sold, and revenue generated. Nintendo Switch is second.
- On November 2022, PlayStation 5 was the best system in the US by revenue. But Nintendo Switch is still leading in unit sales.
- Accessory sales were up by 10% to $289M.
Famitsu: Pokemon Scarlet and Violet became the main game of November in Japan
Famitsu is tracking only retail sales.
- 4.2M of games’ physical copies were sold this November in Japan. Pokemon Scarlet & Violet is responsible for 73% of all sales.
- In Japan, retail versions of Pokemon Scarlet & Violet were bought 3.1M times last month. Pokemon: Arceus, when it was launched, generated 2.1M physical sales in the first month.
- Splatoon 3 was second in November (170k copies), and Tactics Ogre: Reborn was third (48k copies).
- The only game from Sony in the top 10 is the God of War: Ragnarok – #9 (43k copies).
- 93% of physical game copies have been sold for Nintendo Switch. 6% for the Sony consoles.
- PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 in November have been responsible for a quarter of console sales.
- Switch Lite sales increased by 2% from October. In November the light version was responsible for 13.6% of all console sales. Nintendo Switch OLED in November was a behemoth with more than 50% of the market share.
GSD: European PC & Console game sales dropped in November 2022
- 18.2M copies were sold in Europe in November 2022. It’s a 17% drop compared to the previous year.
- Such a decrease is because of the release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, which happened in October. Last year the release was in November.
- 7.8M game copies have been bought in the digital format (-15% YoY), and 10.4M have been bought in physical format (-18% YoY).
- God of War Ragnarok became a bestseller in November 2022 in Europe. Sales in the first three weeks were 62% better than the previous installation.
- However, the reality might have been different if Nintendo will share digital sales. Pokemon Scarlet and Violet combined are in second place by sales with just physical copies, just a little behind God of War Ragnarok.
Consoles & accessories
- 690 thousand consoles were sold in Europe in November 2022. It’s 21% less than a year before.
- Nintendo Switch sales decreased despite the first position by sales.
- PlayStation 5 sales were up by 49%, and Xbox Series S|X – by 22%.
- 1.8M accessories have been sold in November – 11% less than in November 2021. DualSense is the best-selling accessory (+60% YoY).
StreamElements & Rainmaker.gg: Game Streaming market in November and 2022
- Twitch lost 11% views in November compared to the previous month with 1.6B watched hours.
- YouTube Gaming continued to drop too with 244M watched hours in November.
- Facebook Gaming, on contrary, grew by 21% to 414M hours.
- God of War Ragnarok made it to the top 10 of most-watched games (in the last place). The first place (if we’ll throw the Just Chatting category) is reserved for Grand Theft Auto V (97M hours watched).
- Only five games in 2022 after the release made it to the top by views – Lost Ark (72M hours), Elden Ring (71M hours), Overwatch 2 (41M hours), FIFA 23 (29M hours), and God of War Ragnarok (26M hours).
Sensor Tower: Top Mobile Games by Revenue & Downloads in Southeast Asia in November 2022
- Mobile Legends: Bang Bang from Moonton is November’s revenue leader. The game generated $10.6M last month. 36.2% of revenue came from Indonesia, 28.9% – from Malaysia, and 18.8% from the Philippines.
- Garena Free Fire is second with $7.4M in revenue in the region. 40.6% of this amount came from Thailand, 31.6% – from Indonesia, and 17.1% from Malaysia.
- Genshin Impact earned more than $6M (+41% MoM). Singapore (26.3% of overall revenue), Malaysia (23.9%), and Vietnam (15.5%) are the leading countries for the game in the region.
- In November players spent on games in Southeast Asia $197M across App Store & Google Play. It’s a 6.5% decline compared to the previous year.
- The largest markets of Southeast Asia in terms of revenue are Thailand ($47M; 23.7% of the overall amount), Indonesia (17.9%), and Singapore (17.2%).
- Mobile Legends: Bang Bang is also a leader in downloads. In November it has been downloaded more than 4M times. Leaders are Indonesia (56.9% of the overall amount), the Philippines (22.7%), and Cambodia (6.2%).
- Garena Free Fire is second with about 3.7M downloads in November. Indonesia generated 40.9% of downloads, Vietnam – 30.6%, and Thailand – 17%.
- FIFA Mobile showed the second month by downloads in the history in the region, with 2.5M downloads (+92% MoM). 67.8% of them came from Indonesia, Thailand is responsible for 14.9%, and Malaysia brought 11.3% to the table. Thanks to the World Cup.
- 690M games have been downloaded in Southeast Asia in November through App Store & Google Play. It’s 0.9% more than in November last year. The first place in downloads is taken by Indonesia (269M, 39% of the overall amount). Vietnam (20.2%) and the Philippines (18.3%) are next.