The report is generally dedicated to the mobile market, but we will focus on the gaming numbers.
- In 2022 mobile market earned $167B. It’s 2% lower than in 2021.
- In 2022 mobile apps have been downloaded 255 billion times. An increase to 2021 is 11%.
- Game marketing spending growth declined from 22.9% YoY in 2021 to 14% YoY in 2022. In 2023 the growth will be slower too – about 7.5% with the overall spending up to $362B.
- Games revenue has been declining in the majority of developed markets in 2022. In many countries (the US, the UK, and Germany) we can see a direct correlation with decreased disposable income. Spending on apps, on the opposite, has been growing despite the lower income.
Games – overall numbers
- Mobile Games revenue in 2022 decreased by 5% to 2021 and was $110B.
- Downloads of mobile games continue to grow. In 2022 the pace of download growth increased twice compared to 2021.
Top genres by revenue
- RPG – $25.5B revenue (-8.3% YoY). Downloads increased by 3.9%. Genre is generating 31% of overall mobile gaming revenue and 3% of downloads.
- Strategy – $12.1B revenue (-6.6% YoY). Downloads growth by 10%. Genre is responsible for 15% of mobile gaming revenue and 2% of downloads.
- Match – $8.7B of revenue (-5.4% YoY). Downloads increased by 11% in 2022. Genre is generating 11% of overall gaming revenue and 5% of overall gaming downloads (2.8B).
- Casino – $8.3B of revenue (-1.7% YoY). Growth by downloads in 2022 was a significant 48%. The casino is responsible for 10% of overall gaming revenue and 3% of overall downloads.
- Simulation – $8.1B of revenue (-16.8% YoY). Growth by downloads – 13.5%. The genre is responsible for 10% of overall revenue and 17% of overall downloads (10.1B).
- Positive growth dynamic by revenue in 2022 showed MOBA (Honor of Kings is the leader), Roguelike ARPG (Survivor.io), Idle RPG, casino, and Match 3.
- Positive dynamic by downloads showed hypercasual games (Phone Case DIY), driving simulators (Offroad Truck Simulator), creative sandboxes (ROBLOX), sports simulators (8 Ball Pool), and Merge games (2248 Puzzle).
- An increase in time spent was experienced by creative sandboxes, Team Battle RPGs, 4X-Strategies. A huge drop happened with Battle Royale games.
- Younger audiences prefer party games, simulation, and shooters. A more mature audience is choosing Match 3, slots, puzzles.
- 1/3 of gaming mobile revenue is generated by companies with HQ in China. Their impact since 2020 is growing. Positive dynamics are showing companies from Israel and South Korea.
- Companies with HQ in the US have lost some percent of the market since 2021. Japanese companies are losing their positions since 2020 too.