Newzoo shared how The Last of Us TV series affected the game; Apptica delivered report about the Mobile Advertising market in 2022; AppLovin highlighted top-performing creatives and approaches.
- Newzoo: The Last of Us TV series effect on the game series
- Apptica: Mobile Advertising in 2022
- AppLovin: Mobile Creatives trends in 2022
Subscribe to the GameDev Reports newsletter to receive gaming market updates every day.
Newzoo: The Last of Us TV series effect on the game series
- The release of the trailer on December 3 led to the DAU increase in multiple titles of the series. However, days after it went back to normal.
- The interest in the video content about The Last of Us increased a lot after the release of the trailer.
- After the release of the TV series, DAU in the original The Last of Us increased by 300%. Number of players in The Last of Us: Part I and The Last of Us: Part II increased too.
- GfK reports that The Last of Us: Part I sales in the UK increased by 238% after the TV series release.
Apptica: Mobile Advertising in 2022
- The number of advertisers in 2022 reached 120k (29% are on iOS; 71% are on Android). In 2019 there were 2 times fewer advertisers in the market.
- Gaming ads are responsible for 69.02% of mobile traffic on the App Store and 55.58% of mobile traffic on Google Play.
- Casual games and puzzles are the top genres by share of advertising traffic.
- Fishdom (2%), Woodoku (1,54%), Township (1,5%), Royal Match (1,44%), Blockudoku: Block Puzzle Game (1,2%), and Brandon 2: Brain Teaser Games (1,2%) are game industry leaders by the share in the ad traffic.
- Playrix (6.1% on Android and 5.4% on iOS) is the leader of the game industry by the volume of published ads.
- Rescue Cut – Rope Puzzle is the leader by creatives in 2022. Developers made 605k creatives for this game. Playrix, for comparison, created 177k creatives.
- On iOS, the creative split was the following: video (59.9%), images (37.3%), and interactive creatives (2.8%).
- On Android images are more popular (58.8% of the overall amount), videos are next (38.7%), and interactive creatives are about 2,5%.
- 14.6M creatives were published in 2022.
AppLovin: Mobile Creatives trends in 2022
AppLovin analyzed creatives from 52.3B impressions; 22.4B clicks; 267M installs and 200+ apps.
- Customization works well in creatives. Ones with renovation and makeovers show better results in 75% of cases.
- Creatives with dramatic narratives are still working well. They’re showing better performance for the social casino titles (65% better than average), and for the strategy games (155% better than average).
- Generated voiceover started to be used in creatives in 2022. The number of such creatives among those with voiceovers reached 29% of the overall amount (from 0% in 2021).
- Match mechanics, renovation, and drawing lines were good mechanics for Playables in 2022.
- On average, creatives with a show of failure and urgency show better results.
- Strategy is a genre with the largest amount of misleads or creatives that are not showing the real gameplay.