Famitsu is tracking physical sales only.
- Nintendo earned $203M in H1 2023 from boxed sales. It’s 44% of the overall market volume.
- Square Enix had 10.6% of the boxed market in Japan; Pokemon Company had 7% ($34M). But Nintendo owns the former, so it’s fair to say, that Nintendo owns more than 50% of the Japanese boxed market.
- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the best-selling game of the first half in Japan, its sales surpassed 1.7M copies. Pokemon Scarlet and Violet (719k copies) are second; Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe is third (451k copies).
- Nintendo Switch in H1 2023 reached 1.94M sales.
- PlayStation 5 was bought 1.4M times.
- Japanese gamers bought 380k Nintendo Switch and 215k PlayStation 5 in June.
- Despite the Final Fantasy XVI release, Nintendo (422k boxed sales) outpaced Square Enix (364k boxed sales). Capcom is third (83k).
- Final Fantasy XVI is the best-selling game of the month (336k copies sold). The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is second with 182k boxed copies.